May 23, 2007

A Mommy's Ode to Coffee

Oh coffee, how I adore you. Really and truly, coffee is my friend and pretty much most moms I talk too say the same. I do not think I could survive without my morning cup, my afternoon cup, or my daily munching on chocolate covered coffee beans. I love coffee in every form including the smell of it roasting, grinding, and brewing.

I love my coffee maker to make normal cups of coffee. I have an inexpensive reliable one. It makes good coffee and is always there when I need a pot. Now they have them in little one-cup sizes but mine, is the 12 cup.

I love my moka pot. This little contraption makes Italian style coffee that is like a mild espresso. You use it on the stove top like a tea kettle I can drink the coffee straight up but prefer other wonderful concoctions I can make with it. I make all my lattes, cappuccinos, macchiatos, and frappe drinks with the deep rich coffee that comes out of my little moka pot. Hot iced or blended, any time of the day I can have a yummy satisfying drink with out leaving home and it does not take up any counter space. I was blessed with a wonderful little device called a caffe frother. This little glass beaker has a little plunger thing that makes wonderfully foamed milk. The foam is so tight and thick you can draw little chocolate syrup designs on top like the fancy coffee shops that do the beautiful latte art.

I enjoy my coffee press. When I am on trips, I take along my single serve French coffee press so I can have fresh coffee anywhere. All I need is some coffee already ground and hot almost boiling water. The press gives you a strong, rich French style coffee. If you put in the sweetener or Coffee Mate before you press, the coffee becomes infused with the flavor quit nicely.

I eat coffee beans almost daily. I love chocolate covered coffee beans. And not the ones that are more chocolate than bean. I do not know what it is about the crunchy slightly bitter with the sweet that makes them so appealing. I love beans in all sorts of food too. Like ice cream, of course, comes in a variety of coffee flavors.

Putting instant espresso powder or actually brewed coffee in chocolate-based desserts brings out the chocolate flavor. Just a touch of coffee in fudge, brownies, chocolate cake, mocha cookies (well just the name says coffee in those) will enhance the flavor of the chocolate so it tastes more chocolaty - not sweet like milk chocolate but actually chocolate flavor. Coffee and chocolate go hand in hand.

Coffee is also relational. You can invite a friend over for coffee any time at home. And have - get this - adult conversation! Yes, actual meaningful conversation with another adult. In addition, coffee is so easy to make and clean up after, you do not need to worry about the mess it would create. If you can get a sitter, you can go out to coffee also and escape the house. Getting out of the house is necessary for any young mom who is staying at home to take care of little ones. Really, I have found that even though I prefer to stay home and not go out, I do need to leave occasionally.

I consider coffee essential to my mommyhood sanity and stamina. Without it, I would probably be a cranky mommy and I know I would have a bad headache. So, go brew a cup and savor it from the aroma of it brewing to the last drop in your cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...