August 18, 2012

Summer Essential

It's been a hot, dry summer. There is a very essential small kitchen appliance that earns it's keep every summer - our Ice Shaver.


 This is the one I have. We have had this one for years and it is still going strong. This is a great one because it uses everyday ice cubes. The first ice shaver I bought used special circles. I would spend a lot of time freezing circle blocks of ice and stock pile them so that we never ran out of ice. When that one died we bought this one. So much easier to use.

I'm not advertising for them, I'm just showing you the one I bought. But, if I had to buy another, I would probably buy this one again just because it has worked well for me for quite a few summers. With 4 kids and long summer months, that is a lot of ice it has had to shave.







Most days we just shave the ice into a cup and the kids eat them plain. They call them ice cups. I love to shave a cup of ice and pour a cold soda over it or cold coffee, it makes the drink extra cold which always tastes better on a hot summer day.

Sometimes we put some flavored syrup in the ice and make actual snow-cones. We have a bunch of flavored syrups and the kids love getting to choose their flavor or flavors.




Having an ice shaver or snow-cone maker is essential to surviving the summer heat.


1 comment:

  1. We need to get one of these! How fun. My kids love ice, but I'm not super into giving them chunks of it. Shaved ice is perfect! I also like the idea of putting it into coffee....an essential I use all the time anyway :)).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...