September 06, 2012

Cold Press Coffee


While summer is coming to an end and the smell of pumpkin spice lattes will soon fill the air, I just have to share what I look forward to every morning. I just learned about this a few months ago and now it is my favorite way to brew coffee ever.


This coffee press is filled with coffee that was steeping all night. I press it in the morning to make iced coffee. It is seriously the best way to drink iced coffee. Because it isn't heated the acidity is really low. - I haven't actually tested it but you can tell by the taste and anyone sensitive to the acid in coffee has little to no problem with this deliciousness. - The taste of cold press coffee is so smooth. I was a total skeptic at first but then after I tried it, I was totally in love.

I have seen a few different methods online on how to do this but this is my way. I like it, it is easy and there is no fuss at all. Some say to grind the beans finer, some say to wait a bit longer, some only use special water, and others stand on their head and count to 10 while they are pressing it in the morning. (Just kidding on that last one.) I have seen cold brew done without a press and that just seems like too much work. Especially when I already own a press.

So here is how I make my iced coffee every day.
First I grind my beans pretty coarse. They are a little coarser than for the coffee pot.
Then, I pour the grounds into the press. My press holds 32 ounces so I use 4 heaping tablespoons of coffee beans.
Then I fill it up with cold water.
I cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit until morning.
In the morning, I stir it gently then press the grounds down.
I let the coffee settle for a minute while I fill a cup with ice and a little creamer or vanilla syrup and sometimes a generous drizzle of caramel.
Then I pour the glorious cold pressed coffee over the ice.

Awesomeness In A Cup


Why should you try this method? Well let me give you a few reasons.
When you pour hot coffee over ice, the ice melts and makes it watery.
When you refrigerate hot coffee it sometimes can taste bitter like truck stop coffee.
When you brew and press the coffee cold and pour it over ice, you get smooth, rich, full flavor coffee with no nasty aftertaste.
If you like iced coffee, I highly recomend this method. If you already own a press, then why not try it?

Confession:

I don't just own 1 coffee press. I actually own 3! I have the one in the photo above, then hubby and I each have our own personal sized travel coffee press. If you know me well at all I am sure that doesn't surprise you at all. *grin*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...