October 23, 2010

Toaster Oven Snickerdoodles

I love snickerdoodles. I love cinnamon, cookies, and I love saying the word, “Sinckerdoodle.” So I absolutely love these cookies.
The other night (a few months ago because I forgot to post this when I first wrote it), I was in the mood to bake some cookies but the house was the temperature of Venus (okay not quite but it felt like it) and turning on the oven was not something I wanted to do even though I really needed to bake out some frustration and snickerdoodles would be perfect. So, I decided to bake a small, tiny, miniscule batch of cookies in the toaster oven. Genius I tell you, pure genius. The toaster oven doesn’t give of nearly as much heat as the oven, I get to bake, and I get to eat snickerdoodles. It was the perfect plan. Except the recipe I have for Snickerdoodles makes a whole lot of cookies. Normally I bake big, really big so that is usually not an issue but when I only want a few cookies and I want to cook them in a small toaster oven I had a problem. So… I had to do some math equations first and reduce my recipe. It’s a good thing I love math. I thought I would share my little recipe that is perfect for the toaster oven.

First things first, prep your pan. I always use parchment paper on my pan when I am baking. It helps the bottoms cook more evenly, and keeps them from over browning before the middle and top of what I am making is cooked through. Parchment paper also always helps with clean up. I could do a whole post on the benefits and uses of parchment paper. The stuff is awesome.







Now on to cookie making. Gather your ingredients.

Ingredient List
  • ¼ cup butter
  • ¾ plus a few tablespoons flour
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg white
  • ½ tsp vanilla
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp cream of tarter
  • Pinch of Kosher Salt
  • 2 TBS sugar
  • 1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cream the butter, and brown sugar until light a fluffy.

Add the egg white, vanilla, baking soda, cream of tarter and salt.
Mix until thoroughly combined.

Add the flour and stir until it looks like cookie dough.
 
Add a few more tablespoons of flour if it is too thin and sticky. Be careful not to add too much or you will have dry cookies.

Then scoop little mini cookies with a small cookie scoop. And chill for a bit, just until they are firm enough to work with.
 
Mix the cinnamon and sugar in a little bowl. 
 
When the cookie dough is firm enough to handle, put the little balls of dough into the bowl one at a time making sure the entire cookie is coated in cinnamon sugar.
 

Place them on the cookie sheet for your toaster oven.
Cook the little morsels at 350 for about 6-10 minutes depending on your oven.
Take them out when they are golden brown and let cool.


Then serve them up in a pretty little dish that compliments their cuteness. Like this frosted martini glass that I coated the rim with cinnamon sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...