July 16, 2011

Lemony Vanilla Cupcakes

I have the great privilege of making cupcakes for a friend's wedding and it was time to practice. First I had to find a recipe that would be perfect for her wedding, one that tastes amazing but is simple, elegant, and fun at the same time. This task involved much time perusing the yummy food blogs and evaluating every recipe to see if it was worthy. I finally decided that I didn't really like any of the recipes for the occasion at hand and decided to write my own recipe. Oh my heavens, I am so glad I did. These turned out so yummy, they don't need frosting. Though some vanilla buttercream topped with candied lemon rind would be oh so perfect for them. However I didn't make any and it's late so I probably won't make any but it is on my list of things to make now. However with all the yummy foods I saw tonight, that list has grown from very very long to longer than Santa's List. (No kidding, Like these homemade Samoas. I stocked up on these when the Scouts were selling them, but I am sure I'll run out before March.) Anyway back to these cupcakes. They are lemony but not too lemony and vanilla-y but not over poweringly so and they aren't too sweet. They have a nice moist crumb which is perfect for a cupcake. I should just keep the recipe for myself but that would do the world such a disservice. Really these must be shared. So easy so quick and so yum. Phrases like, "These are the best cupcakes I've ever tasted!" were uttered at my house tonight as my loyal taste testers inhaled the small portions I gave them. So without anymore stalling, here is the recipe.

Lemony Vanilla Cupcakes

1/2 cup butter at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp kosher salt1 lemon
1/4 cup milk (I used evaporated milk to make it creamier.)2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup flour

  1. Turn on your oven to 350 (remember oven temps and times may vary.) And line a muffin tin with cute cupcake liners.
  2. Put the butter and sugar in a large bowl.
  3. Put the milk in a smaller bowl
  4. Grate the lemon zest into the large bowl with the butter and sugar.
  5. Squeeze the juice of the lemon into the bowl with the milk and let it sit for a minute.
  6. Add the baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the butter, sugar, and lemon zest.
  7. Using a mixer, cream the butter/sugar mixture until it is light a fluffy.
  8. Add the eggs and vanilla to the milk that now looks a bit lumpy. (It's okay don't freak out or anything, you made your own buttermilk.) Mix that all up.
  9. Now add the flour a half cup at a time to the butter mixture alternating with the milk mixture beating in between.
  10. Okay that was a tad confusing wasn't it? Here is how you do it. Add 1/2 cup of flour then mix it all in. Then add a bit of the milk mixture and beat that all in. Then add 1/2 cup of flour and mix. Then add some milk mixture and beat that in. Then the last 1/2 cup of flour and mix. Then the last of the milk and mix. 
  11. Don't over mix or you will have tough chewy cupcakes, which is not what you are going for.
  12. Then scoop the batter into the muffin tin with cute liners. I use my large cookie scoop for this, it is the perfect size. Pop them in the oven for 15-20 minutes. I turn mine after 10 minutes to make sure they are cooking evenly. They are done when a toothpick comes out clean or with a few crumbs. 
  13. Let them cool and enjoy with or without frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...