July 22, 2008

Product Review - Avent Breastpump

A good breast pump is essential for any mom who decides to nurse their baby. When I was first figuring out which breast pump to buy, I was pregnant with my first. This was 9 years ago now and it was slim pickings. There were not very many affordable choices and the expensive choices were only available through a lactation consultant. There were not many lactation consultants around at that time either.
Medela and Ameda breast pumps have been the preferred choice for many years but they are not that affordable. Something I have found is that most times, expensive does not actually mean better.
As I researched as much as I could about all of the pumps available at that time, I discovered a common thread. The moms I talked to said that they had the best pump around but they also said that it really hurt to pump out. The reviews I read said that the most expensive pumps that you could buy at a store were supposedly the best you could get. So… I knew I needed to either save up some extra money or find a better alternative. I found my pump at Target. I read the box that said it had massaging “petals” that helps stimulate milk flow. The box also said that this manual pump was just as effective at expressing milk as the electric ones. To top it off, it was less than $50! That is why I bought the Avent Isis breast pump. It was new to the US but had been around for a while.
I have to tell you, it is awesome. It is fast, effective and overall comfortable. Also, I have had mine for 4 kids and it still works. I love that you can pump directly into the bottle you want to use. I love that it is compact and easy to figure out.  I also love that it didn't break the bank. I love nursing my little ones and I love that I can pump when I need to without it hurting. I know that many of the more expensive brands have improved tons since my son was born. I have seen many companies try to mimic what Avent has. This tells me that I made the right choice (not that my experience didn't already tell me). 
 If you are a nursing mom or will be a nursing  mom, let me encourage you that nursing is one of the best decisions you can make for your baby.  It is  a lot of fun once you get the hang of it and there are great lactation consultants out there who can help you out when you have problems and questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...