October 13, 2007

Quiet Times

One of the most important essentials of mommyhood is time with the Lord in the Bible. Seriously, I am very sure one cannot be a successful parent without Christ. And with that being said, spending time with Him is crucial. I feel like I never have the time to spend time with God but I try to make sure I do anyway every day, even if it is only for a few minutes. I know that those precious few minutes are going to be the best few minutes of my day. Without that time, I really am no good to my kids. I can have no patience at all and will be distracted without keeping myself focused on the Lord. Usually that time does not get to happen until the end of the day but I take it. Just reading a little bit can bring me back into alignment and will guide me in finding the answers I need with whatever I am dealing with.

God’s Word is amazing. It is living and transforming, it is written and spoken, it is history and present and future all wrapped up into one. It applies to life as much today as it did when it was written. I need God’s Word in order to be transformed. If I am not transformed and renewed in my mind and sprit, no matter how much physical rest I get I will not be capable of being the best mommy for my munchkins.

So with that, I challenge you as much as I challenge myself - if you are not already. I challenge you to read just read a Proverb or a Psalm. Alternatively, pick a book of the Bible and just read 10 verses or 15 verses or whatever. Begin reading with a simple prayer that God would speak to you through whatever you are reading. Then read. Try to remember what you read throughout the day or the next day so that you can find ways to apply whatever you read to your life. That is how the Word is active and living in us. If we do not apply God’s Word to our life, it is just words on a page.

Romans 12:2

“And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”

Isaiah 40:31

“But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.”

Psalm 63:1

“O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;”

4 comments:

  1. AMEN GIRL! i am glad to see someone else passionate about God's all-sufficient Word! i too need to have time in the Bible to have proper perspective, godly character, encouragement, and the ability to walk in the fruit of the Spirit with my kids (not just other adults!). Thank you for this wonderful post. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. God's Word is so essential to my success in being a mom and a wife. It is extremely evident to everyone when I'm not spending time in it.
    Blessings to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder. I find being in God's word daily is so important for me too. Unfortunately, it's not always accomplished! I find when I don't, I'm just a dried up well that wants to crack at the slightest bit of pressure.
    I appreciate your challenge. I plan on taking it to heart, and reading my Bible (even if it's only one verse - hopefully more)

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is teaching me that He can speak to me through just one verse - Our preconceptions of a proper quiet time are great but not the only way God can speak to us. I pray success for you with this challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...